Monday, March 14, 2016

Tall Trees and Green Moss

The first day on Salt Spring Island…

Waking up in a cottage in the woods, surrounded by tall trees and fuzzy green moss makes me think this quote my Henry David Thoreau is just perfect for today…

"What lies before us and what lies behind us are small matters compared to what lies within us. And when you bring what is within out into the world, miracles happen."



The cottage that I am staying in

Tall trees and fuzzy green moss
My first visit to the studio… I was like a kid in a candy store! So much color and texture and so much that I want to learn how to do! 


Saori Salt Spring Weaving Studio






Terri and I talked as I began weaving on the warp I had created. She showed me many things in her studio, such as the piece of fabric that Misao Jo had woven and the message Misao Jo has written for her. It does not have a direct translation into English, but may mean something along the lines of "from the heart" but it is more of a feeling that is being expressed rather than something that you can say in words….
Misao's message

A detail of Misao's fabric

Misao Jo, the founder of Saori weaving



Using the metal bar to help with the back problems I am struggling with...

My fabric

I learned how to make a mobius scarf by weaving the two ends together and attaching the fabric into one continuos piece. Time seemed to just speed away today! 



After a trip into town, I went back into the studio to take the infinity scarf off the loom. I am looking forward to a relaxing and quiet night watching the video about Misao Jo and doing some painting. More weaving to come tomorrow. 


This island is just beautiful! 

The piece I made today...

Misao Jo's Dream, Our Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment