Thursday, November 10, 2016

Yesterday's Screams


The results of the election were not what we were all expecting. They were actually quite devastating... The presidency is actually going to that awful, hateful, dangerous and unprepared man.

I woke up on Wednesday morning and posted on FB, " What a different feeling than yesterday... I never though that this would happen. It makes me sick. I am sad, embarrassed for our country and afraid for a future like this...."

In response a friend of mine responded, " Wonder if your art will take a very dark turn today"
Not having even pulled myself out of bed just yet, I replied, " I wonder if I can even make art today.."
Another friend replies, "Art heals right? "

Wrapped in the safety of my down comforter, I began to think...if there was a day to embrace the political in my art, it would be today. What should I do? What can I do? All I want to do is scream.
Then the idea came to me, weaving screams using the interlocking technique that looks kind of like sound bites. I would need to come out of my studio. I don't want to be alone in a white cube behind a white door forcing myself to plug along with my art making today anyway.... I should go outside. Yes, this is what got me out of bed and ready to work.


Silently Screaming
Then I looked out the window at the grey sky and they misty wetness in the air and the weather felt like the mood of the day. Working outside in the wet grass was not such a great idea after all.... so I packed up the loom and rolled it over to the Red Mill building. Thinking that we all have to come out and eat there today, try to refuel and be together as a group even though the tension was thick and the energy was low...

I set up the loom in the gallery there and decided that it would be a great place to work. It was for me, it was for others, it was welcoming, open to hands willing to help, emotions to be expressed and conversations to be had. I began weaving and was actually working quite fast. At this pace, I would be done with this warp in no time. I was working off of some nervous emotional energy and silently screaming into the fabric.

Krista Weaving Screams

Andrey Weaving Screams
 My screams were being heard by those around me.  I slowed down and listened. They came in to share their feelings, their stories, hugs and weave their voices in the fabric as well. Thank you to all that came in yesterday. I hope this project helped you as much as it helped me. I wove from about 10 am until about 5:30 or so, taking only a break for lunch. This light piece of fabric is actually quite heavy and carries the weight of the day. I ran out of strings right before dinner and the piece was complete.



A Collective Scream
November 9th, 2016

No one thought this was going to happen
sadness
No one thought this was going to happen
some people say he is not so bad
No one thought
No one thought this was going to happen
Something will be done

No comments:

Post a Comment